The Application & Selection Process
Applications must be submitted by March 30, 2022 with the following accompanying information:
- An official application cover sheet
- A resume
- Grade point average
- Estate planning course attended
- A summary of those academic and extracurricular achievements and honors that the applicant considers particularly relevant to assessing his or her academic and leadership potential, as well as his or her sensitivity to ethical standards; AND
- One of the following:
- A sample of the applicant’s writing on an estate planning law related subject. Students may use papers previously written for class, law review articles, or other purposes;
- Participation in the student externship program, with a written statement describing either a specific externship project or summarizing the student’s participation in the program;
- Nomination by a UMKC Law Professor of an outstanding J.D. or L.L.M. student that has shown an interest in a career in estate planning.
Candidates will be asked to interview with the Selection Committee in April 2020. The competition will include both written materials and oral presentations to the selection committee by all applicants.
All candidates are invited to attend a luncheon in their honor hosted by the Kansas City Estate Planning Society on April 16, 2020 at the Kansas City Country Club. During the luncheon, the three award recipients will be asked to participate in a brief interview conducted by Mr. Joe Price.
All prize applicants are welcome to attend the 2022 Kansas City Estate Planning Symposium, as special guests which will be held on April 28th and 29th, 2022 at the Overland Park Convention Center, Overland Park, Kansas.